Children are often hyperactive or crawl on the floor and suck their hands again, sometimes they drop food on the ground and then pick it up to eat, so they are very susceptible to infections such as roundworms, whipworms. pinworm.
In rural areas, especially in areas where vegetables are grown, using fresh manure to fertilize vegetables and crops is a favorable condition for children to be infected with hookworms, because the larvae penetrate the skin to enter the body. young.
When infected with worms, in addition to worms that reside and occupy the body’s nutrients, worms also cause many troublesome symptoms for children. When infected with worms, children often have digestive disorders, hindering the absorption of nutrients, on the other hand, they also have to share food for these uninvited guests, so the babies will be slow to grow, malnourished. nutrition, resistance is poor so it is easy to get other infections. That is not to mention complications such as bile duct worms, intestinal obstruction or in girls when the female pinworm spawns eggs can crawl to the genitals and cause infection. Young hookworm infections can suffer from severe anemia due to chronic blood loss due to damage to the intestinal mucosa, causing prolonged bleeding, so children infected with worms often have anorexia, growth retardation, malnutrition and growth retardation. anemia…
So when can deworming children and what drugs should be taken?
Usually children 2 years of age and older should be deworming, but in cases where the child is malnourished slowly growing due to a worm infection, it can be removed earlier, 1 year old can also bleach the worm, but must choose a preferred drug. well suited. Here are some of the commonly used worming medicines for deworming children:
– Albendazole: inhibits glucose uptake in larvae and adult worms, reduces glycogen storage, lowers the dual function, so the worms are immobile and then die. The drug works on many types of worms: chopsticks, hooks, hair, eel, needles. Single dose for children from 2 years old using 400mg. (1V) As for hookworm, take albendazole 400mg tablet a day and take it for 3 consecutive days.
• Mebendazole: also depletes the worms’ stored glycogen, in addition inhibits the reproduction of the worms. Use this medicine only for children over 2 years old. To remove pinworms, give the child 100mg, repeat again after 2 to 4 weeks; Also to remove one or more types of worms: hook, hair, needle: use a single dose of 400mg.
• Pyratel: There is a brand name hemilltox with 125mg and 250mg content: it works by blocking the worms’ nerves – muscles, making them paralyzed and peristalsis push the worms out. Pyrantel affects both the immature form but not the larval form. This drug can be used to bleach pinworms, roundworms, hookworms for children from 1 year old and older with a dose of 10mg / kg of body weight. If children infected with pinworms much can repeat after 1 week with the same dose as above
The above drugs are formulated in the form of tablets, aromatic, sweet, chewable, crushed before drinking or in suspension, depending on the child’s age to choose the appropriate drug form. It can be taken at any time of day, no need to starve. However, drinking it at night before bed is best. Currently, in kindergartens, children are also given a pill once a year, usually at the beginning of the school year, parents should pay attention to give them again after 6 months.
To avoid worm infection for babies, mothers should prevent worm infection is the best:
• Practice washing hands after using the toilet and before eating. The adults themselves must pay attention to this, especially before preparing food and feeding the baby.
• Eating and drinking: let your baby drink boiled water, eat cooked vegetables, fruits should be peeled after washing.
• Body hygiene: regularly cut baby’s fingernails, wash her anus with bath soap after each bowel movement, do not let her defecate indiscriminately, do not let baby stay naked or wear pants with perforated ass.
• In rural areas, it is necessary to locate the manure treatment area away from the dwelling place and wells. Do not let the baby crawl, play with sand.
• Give baby deworming bleach once every 6 months. If a member of the household has a pinworm infection, should be deworming the whole family.